Wednesday, September 4, 2013

what's in a name?

our home team is getting new jerseys this year (it rotates each year) so I had to fill out the database with my size, number and name.

Back in the proverbial day, a lot was made about YOUR DERBY NAME IS AN ALTER EGO FOR YOUR AWESOMENESS.  The Two Evils database was religiously checked for duplicates and whatnot.

I had no personal connection to "Queen Kicktoria".  I liked how it sounded and it was available.  (Other names I liked: "Helena Handbasket", "Chick Palahniuk", "Nom de Guerre"*.)   It's not my "alter ego", it's just a nickname that I use on the track.

That's why, for about a day or so, I really agonized about going back to skating under a variant of my real last name - the original spelling of my (married) last name, which had an umlaut in it.

BECAUSE UMLAUT.

Eventually I decided to keep my derby name.  I'm Queenie.  I wear crowns.  I shriek.  I give a royal wave during team intros.  That's who I am now.

 Travel season, who knows.
------------
*and if I hadn't gotten married (or kept my maiden name), "The Wreck of the Whitney Fitzgerald"

No comments:

Post a Comment