Monday, April 19, 2010

random miscellany

so last year, my position of choice was inside blocker.  It was easy(ish), all I had to do was stick on the inside line like glue and I could be content with the job I had done.

This season, I'm probably going to pivot near exclusively (at least to start).  

Since the majority of my team is composed of skaters who have never bouted before, it's up to me and my bushels of experience (ha) to help direct people and all that.

Plus I would love to get the star passed to me.  That would RULE.  It's my secret little wish to get to jam a few times this season.

----------------

It's interesting to realize just how few people recognize me by my actual name.  We had a captain/coach meeting a few weeks ago and I introduced myself to Apolo Anton OhHELLno's wife by my real name, and the captain of one of the other teams remarked on how she didn't think of me by my real name, but as "Queen". 

It goes both ways, too - I remember last year going getting my hair done by one of my teammates, and she was talking about a fellow skater, but I had no idea who she was talking about at first because she used the skater's real name.

It's an interesting conundrum.

--------------------------

So practice yesterday.  Skaters who didn't pass their assessment the first time around went through it again (they had to pass in order to be eligible for the roster for June 11) and the rest of us went through Apolo Anton OhHELLno's Cavalcade of Pain.

Honestly, about 3/4 of the way through it, I said "screw it" and half-assed my way through it.   Probably not the best attitude to have, but if I screw up my knees or my ankle (still not quite right and it's been almost 3 weeks) because I'm trying to hop on one foot from the floor to a ledge 3" off the floor, and can't bout because of it, I will be one horked off Queen.

All the skaters on my team passed their assessments, so I am very very happy about that. 

-----------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment