Monday, August 9, 2010

sigh

okay, so almost exactly ten years ago I developed a ganglion cyst on the back of my left hand.  It got to the point where if I tried to hold a cup of laundry detergent, it would hurt and hurt and hurt.  So, I had it surgically removed.  When that happened, I was told there was a 5-10% chance of it returning.

Guess what came back a few weeks ago?

I went to see the hand guy today, and he's like "well, it looks like it came back" and I was like "Um, yeah".  Apparently the fact that it came back in exactly the same place (as opposed to higher on my hand or lower, which is more common) means that there may be a bit of bone overgrowth where it is, and if that's the case they'll need to dig out all the excess bone crap when they do it.

So, long story short, my surgery is scheduled for September 10.  This is the earliest they could get it done*, which means that I won't be able to skate in the September 11 bout.  GODDAMMIT.

As for recovery, the doctor said, basically, "at least two weeks, more likely four weeks, possibly six weeks until you can do what you normally do."  Now, this doctor probably does not consider "roller derby" when thinking of things people normally do, so who knows how long I will be out.  Come hell or high water, though, I'm skating in the November bout.  (The surgery site will be covered by my wrist guard, that'll count for something, right?  RIGHT?)

Anyway, I'm now very bummed.  The only potential bright side is that I can get Vicodin out of it, but I don't even like Vicodin!  Last time it made me really nauseous! (Although - and how's this for amusery - the nausea I was feeling actually could have been morning sickness, as all this went down last time right around the time I got pregnant.)
--------------
* I could put it off until the end of the season, but it *is* starting to hurt when I pick up things, and when I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment