Monday, March 5, 2012

moving forward and all that

So last night we started a new batch o'Fresh Meat (we're calling them "312 Quarry", since they started in March 2012).  There's about fifteen or so, which is pretty kewl.  I feel privileged to be part of their learning process, even though most of the time I can't explain exactly what it is I'm doing ("okay....just kinda push out with your inner wheels?  or push in with your outer wheels.  One or the other.")

With our 911 Quarry (September 2011), we were doing some pack work.  I ended up being a jammer, which was cool because I got knocked around quite a bit and my knee was fine.  It was a little achy afterwards, but whatever.  I'm going to try one-on-one drills at practice tonight and will probably just end up saying SCREW IT I'M FINE and be scrimmaging by the end of practice.

Our neighbors to the east, Central New York Roller Derby, lost their practice space and a lot of their equipment in a fire, so I am making them new helmet covers.  Four sets of four, sixteen total.  I've finished both pivots for three of the sets and need to sew the stars on the jammers for the three sets.  (I also need to get some matching thread for the stars.) 

My boots are irritatingly switching between "fantastic" and "HAMMER TO THE TOES OW GODDAMMIT". Last night after doing an hour of T stops and plow stops my feet were killing me.  I've been getting a lot of "those plates look AWESOME" compliments lately, which is cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment