Saturday, July 14, 2012

ah crap

So we scrimmaged on Thursday to help out the A team (they are doing a doubleheader tomorrow for WFTDA standings) and I was jamming, and I just - fell.  My ankle was ow.  I tried getting up, but I was like "no, not gonna try.  I'm done."  They helped me over to the bench, got me ice, and I sat the rest of the time.

It got worse yesterday, so I started getting nervous and called my doctor's office.  They said to go to the ortho care guys, who did an X ray and determined that it wasn't broken (thank God), just sprained.

"So hey," the ortho doc said.  "We're doing a study about the effect of Platelet-Rich Plasma on ankle sprains.  Wanna take part?"

"Sure," I said.  So, they took a blood sample (the chick who did it screwed up the first time [they need to use a larger diameter needle than, say, a blood donation, and she didn't get it fully in the vein and it ended up trickling down my arm] so they had a nurse take the sample through my wrist) and then a few minutes later they came back and injected either the PRP or saline into my ankle.

OH MY GOD.  It felt like he put the needle into my ankle and then decided to pull the needle OUT THROUGH MY SKIN IN WHICH WAS BURIED ALL AT ONCE.  I was actually yelling OW, OW, OW.  I have some surveys I will need to fill out, and PT to do, and they gave me a walking boot.

It feels a bazillion times better now, but I will, of course, treat it carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment