Tuesday, March 19, 2013

my name is Queenie and I'm a one-trick pony

B team practice last night.  Whee! When all was said and done, I'd spent 26% of the previous 36 hours at the rink.

Positional blocking is getting a bit better.  I'm concentrating less on GETTING ALL WIDE and more on STAYING IN FRONT OF THE PERSON.  I picked up a trick from one of my teammates that helps (always looking over my left shoulder to the inside of the track - if I can't see the person I'm blocking anymore, it means they're going to the right, so just go right).

When I'm the one being blocked, I've developed a trick of spinning around them on the outside. It's tricky, though, because when I'm spinning my chest is facing them on the right, so if they time a hit right, I'm toast.  Fortunately most of the time they're not expecting it so I can pull it off.  I *need* to work on it on the inside, though, and that's tough for two reasons: a) usually there's not a lot of room on the inside so I worry about cutting the track; and b) I'm not as comfortable spinning clockwise as I am counter-clockwise. 

The inside part of my right heel really hurts when I put pressure on it (this happened on Sunday during a particularly intense drill of "skate to catch up with someone, then hang onto them and plow stop until they stop moving", which is not fun when I'm trying to push off on it while skating.  Hopefully a day or two off-skates will help remedy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment