Wednesday, March 27, 2013

talking about my equipment

Yesterday I took apart my skates.  Cleaned my bearings (Bones Swiss; they were FEELTHY), checked my pivot cups (they were fine), tried to get my bearings back into my wheels.  Radar Diamonds, man, I love you so much but why do you have to be so difficult to put bearings back into?  I spent about half and hour working on them and only got six wheels done.

So I'm kinda sorta toying with the idea of getting new wheels.  Ideally I'd be able to get the same width (31mm) with a metal hub and possibly even a narrower diameter (< 61mm) but I get the impression that is a mystical unicorn.

Also toying with the idea of loosening my trucks over time. Mine are crazy mega hella stiff and I'm wondering if that should change or if it's a IF IT AIN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT sorta thing.

I called Suregrip about my plate (the right one is okay now - weird).  I sent the guy a picture of the piece that came out; we'll see what happens.

I need to get toe covers that cover the entire toe of my skate, not just the very front. I've burned through so many shoelaces because the side will catch on the floor.  (My old ones with the green crowns on them don't work with the Avenger plates.)  All the ones I've seen that fit Avenger plates are kinda huge and weird and I don't like how they look, though.  For now, I just skip the first holes when I lace them and that seems to work.

I use plain foam insoles in my skates, but I wear through the heels of them in about thirty seconds.

I have no idea what sort of cushions I use for my trucks.  I know that one is blue and one is yellow, but hardness?  softness?  I HAVE NO IDEA.

I'm liking the hockey helmet so far (I have a Bauer 7500).  It makes me feel more athletic.

My knee pads are Pro Derby 187's with purple trim.  They work well for me.

My elbow pads are 187's that I got from a teammate that are too big for me.  I wear cut-off white tube socks under them, though, to add bulk and reduce the irritation that they gave me.

My wrist guards are just typical 187 wristguards that the plastic part pops out of so I have to tape them in place.

My mouthguard is a Sisu 1.6, with a 2.4 as a backup.  White, of course, so I don't look weird in photos.






No comments:

Post a Comment