Tuesday, March 25, 2014

and things progress

our bout was crazy-well attended, which was awesome.

Practice last night went well; I loaded up on naproxen for my shoulder and it survived.  

I think I finally got hockey stops down (at least the ones where you turn counter-clockwise).  Basically it's like half a plow stop, and it's the planted foot that makes you turn.

I jammed once during the scrimmage part of our practice - the jam was set up as a power jam for the other team, and I sat on the bench with the jammer cover on my head.  When our coach gestured for me to come on the track, I did it so quickly that the other team didn't have time to react until the absolute last second, and I got through relatively easily.

On my scoring pass, I ended up right behind the other jammer.  We both stopped, and she turned around and was trying to be intimidating, getting in my face, and I was like "um, you're not intimidating me" and I basically stood there until she realized it wasn't going to work, and then we made our way through the pack.

On the second scoring pass (we run jams like this so there's no lead jammer, we just go until our coach tells us to stop) I ended up on the outside, about an inch away from the edge of the track.  I managed to get around a player on the other team on my toe stops, step by careful step, staying in bounds, and continued on my merry way.  (This got a lot of compliments.)

(It was at some point during this jamming that I lost the captive bead in my eyebrow piercing.  I should probably switch to a barbell or actually tape it down during practices or something.)

When I got home, and took off my socks, I was greeted with this:


I've never had so many  bruises at one time, much less on my foot, so I can only think it was from those hockey stops.


No comments:

Post a Comment