Friday, June 3, 2011

my little moment of awesome

so last night was scrimmage night, and I did my usual - didn't talk enough as pivot, got a few good hits, stayed with my partner.

On what ended up being the last jam of the night, I got sent to the box on an elbows penalty.  About thirty seconds later, our jammer joined me.  Naturally, the rest of our pack immediately sped up.  We happened to have very fast skaters out there, something I pointed out to our jammer.

Then I remembered - hey, when my penalty's over, I have to go out there and skate that fast!

Which led to the following conversation:

PENALTY BOX GUY:  691, you may stand.
ME: Do I have to?

So eventually I was sprung.  The pack happened to be our three fast skaters and one fast, hard hitter from the other team.  I got in behind her and immediately she was on me.  I saw her get ready for a hit.

If she hits me, I'm dead.  If she hits me, I'm dead.

She went to hit me to the inside.

I took a micro-step back, juked to the outside, sailed past her and caught up with my teammates.

It was the most awesome feeling I've had in a while.

After scrimmage was over, one of my teammates came up to me and said "when you got past [the other skater], I wanted to run out to the track and give you a hug.  That was AWESOME!"

So, yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment