Thursday, December 5, 2013

so

since I can't play derby right now, I'm going to live vicariously through my son and his bowling career.

The team is made up of seven boys, but only five bowl at a time during a match.   They bowl two games;the winning team of each game gets two points, and then whichever team had the highest pin count for the day also gets two points (so the most you can get is 6).

It's scratch bowling, so there's no handicap given.

You can substitute bowlers in between games.  What the coach has been doing is putting the kids with the top five averages in for the first game, and then pulling the lowest-scoring kid and subbing someone in for the second game.  This is how Maverick ended up bowling second for the first three matches this year, and then first for the match yesterday (he got a 162 and was the low man on the totem pole, and the kid who replaced him bowled even worse, but WHATEVER).

A lot of parents show up for the matches, and I've definitely heard some "hey, that little guy is pretty good!" whenever he gets a strike.  :) 

Yesterday they played the toughest team in their division, and while they lost the first game, they were going to win the second game and possibly take the highest pin count points also.  One of the other team's bowlers missed a shot, and I pumped my fist and said "YES!" and then immediately realized you don't do that in high school sporting events and immediately started cowering and apologizing.  The other parents who heard were fortunately on our side and laughed.  One said "well, it's what we were all thinking." 

I blame derby. :)

The last two weeks have been insane, what with Maverick bowling 4 days a week right after school (M-W for the school and then a fun league he does on Fridays) so I only now got my first PT session scheduled.  It's for Monday at 7:00am, ugh, but the PT place is literally (literally literally, not figuratively literally) around the corner from my house so it won't be as bad.  Right now my knee is okay most of the time, though yesterday it was bugging me when I had to use the clutch in my car.

Because of that, I keep thinking "It probably wouldn't hurt too much if I skated, just a little bit."  I need to not think that, I need to let everything get back to 100%.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment