Monday, November 21, 2011

so, it's all over but the fresh meat training

My Facebook status from early Sunday morning:

"Sorry, but spending 23987 hours in a little box going 'OKAY, THAT'LL BE 12 DOLLARS, 8 DOLLARS IS YOUR CHANGE AND CAN YOU PUT YOUR HAND IN THE GOM JABBAR SO WE CAN STAMP IT' can make one tired. That and I couldn't find a parking space near [after party]. So I just went home. [skater], I have your cooler. Other people, I may or may not have your stuff."

(Okay, "23987 hours" was really more like "4 hours".  But still.  It was non-stop people.  We ran out of $1 bills, we ran out of $5 bills.  No one came to relieve me or the other chick working.  It was annoying, but our attendance was over 2000, so I can't complain too much.)

The bouts, from what I understand, were freak-out worthy.  Our team's bout came down to the last jam, and when it was over, the scoreboard read 120-119, or something like that, other team winning.  They started celebrating, the announcers congratulated them, but then it turned out there'd been a mistake somewhere, and the score was actually 119-119.  So then there was a sudden death overtime, which we won, 127-126, or something like that.  The other team and their fans were pissed, which I can really understand.  I talked to one of the referees afterwards and he was still trying to recover from it.

The second game, the A team won, something like 140-117.  From what I could see, the other team immediately left the track after the game (didn't bother with a lap of the track or anything), so I have no idea what went on there.

So then we had to clean up after 2000+ people (there were eleventy billion bottles and cans to recycle) and by the time I left, like I said above, I was tired and couldn't find a parking space and I went home.

Sunday morning there was Fresh Meat training, which went fine.  There were a few veterans who need to do their travel team assessment tomorrow, so I timed one of them on her ten minute endurance (we had to use the outside of the track, as the freshies were doing their 25 in 5).  I skated about 10 feet behind her the whole time, and at the end she collapsed into a heap and I was more "oh, did I just skate?  Okay."

I want to redo my assessment tomorrow, just for my own information, 'cause, like I said before, when I did it back in May I was about 20 pounds heavier and had crappy wheels and a crappy floor surface. We'll see if they let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment