Tuesday, January 22, 2013

lotsa stuff happened

my knee isn't back 100% yet - more like 80% - but it's enough for me to crash around on skates like a damn fool. 

Saturday was the league banquet - my home team for this past season (September - December 2012) voted me "Most Improved".  (Of course, at first I took it as a "You Really Sucked Before" statement, but that's because I am a negative, negative person, but I feel better about it now.)

Sunday I didn't go to Death Paces practice because (a) I was tired (b) water is wet (c) grass is green (d) Roy and Maverick didn't have bowling so everyone just sort of blobbed around the house.

The last few times I've dinked around with my skates I noticed that my left toestop wasn't staying tight in my plate.  I have DA-45 Avenger plates, which use a single bolt to hold the toestop in place (you tighten it with an allen wrency).  I'd tighten the bolt as far as it would go, and the toestop would just spin freely.  So last night at practice, I took the bolts out of both plates and looked in them - the plate broke completely around the bolt (there's a circle of metal just randomly floating around in the plate). 

So I was trying to figure out what to do - take my skates to the shop in Buffalo to get them fixed, send them back to Five Stride and say HEY IT'S ONLY BEEN A YEAR WTF, Loctite the toestops in place, duct-tape... and then my coach said "why don't you use a hex nut?" (like the way they are on skates that don't need an allen wrench to tighten).  Eureka!  I grabbed a spare skate from the gear box and fixed it.  Phew!  I should probably get it fixed properly, but this'll work until the next time I'm out in Buffalo.


No comments:

Post a Comment