Monday, May 6, 2013

so BOUTING IS FUN, and BOUT WEEK WAHOO!

first time skating in the new venue!  the floor is ice covered with big concrete slabs topped with sport court and while it was a little scary at first because things would shift and roll, by the time we started playing it was no big deal.

I felt like I didn't play that well the first half - I fell a lot. MUST DO CORE WORK.  I pulled it together in the second half, though.  Kept with my wall and did some offense and whatnot.  My coach said I had some amazing plays which I don't remember doing.

At one point I was out there, got hit, and realized almost immediately that my contact lens had gotten dislodged.  I immediately closed my eye and kept going, letting my teammates know what had happened.  Fortunately, it turned into a power jam for us, so all I really needed to do was stand still (YAY SLOW DERBY).  I finally managed to find it on my face, so I'm skating around with my lens on my finger.  When I got back to the bench, I wet it with some tap water and stuck it back in, and then went out for the next jam (in the words of one of my friends, "watching you reinsert it afterwards looked incredibly sanitary").  Eventually at the end of the night I ended up ripping it out of my head and throwing it away.  All the makeup on the left side of my face had been rubbed away clean by that point.

The final score?  324-60, which is our largest margin of victory ever.  YAY US!

We'd played this team about a year ago, and at the afterparty a few of them came up to me and told me they were disappointed I was wearing a hockey helmet instead of the helmet I'd worn back then (Helmet 2.0) because apparently their coach had told them they would get a reward for each jewel they brought back.  I HAD A BOUNTY ON MY HEAD I AM HAN SOLO!

We have an away bout this weekend, about two hours from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment