Wednesday, February 16, 2011

indeed

So I frequent a knitting website that has a roller derby message board, and one of the members was talking about how an influx of warm weather has inspired her to think about outdoor skating. I was SO JEALOUS because it's been so frickin' cold the last, oh, FOUR MONTHS, and I know there's no way I'll be able to skate outside until, oh, MOST LIKELY MAY at the earliest.

Our neighborhood is pretty good for skating.  The area in which I live is sort of triangle-boundaried by three major roads, but all the roads in this triangle are fairly sedate, and they twist around a little, so you can go around and not see the same houses over and over and over.  The major roads all have nice traffic lights with good crosswalks, so if I get really bored I can cross at the intersection and find other sedate, slightly twisty roads.  Last summer Maverick would ride his bike and I'd skate around.

There's also a park behind the supermarket that's on the other side of one of those major roads, that has a nice 0.4 mile paved loop.  It's a little tricky in the fall when part of the loop is covered with leaves, but other than that it's a really nice place to skate.  There's a playground in the middle, so sometimes other leaguemates will bring their little kids and they'll play while we skate.

My biggest problem was figuring out how to carry my phone/wallet/keys/skate tool/whatever.  I'd have to wear things with lots of pockets.  The hip bag/fanny pack/whatever thing I got at Christmas will work WONDERS in that respect.

(Looking outside impatiently at the ice that's everywhere) HURRY UP! MELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLT!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment