Wednesday, February 9, 2011

what sucks, what rules

here's where I talk about what I think I suck at in derby and what I think I rule at in derby.

I suck at....endurance. I spent the first 34 years of my life not doing anything sports-related, it's a tough inertia to break. I can't burst with speed, I can't blaze along at 175mph for a full jam, I just sort of have to chug along and pray that if/when I get knocked down, I can catch up.

I suck at....communication. I am the master of sound effects during practice (mostly screams of the OMFG I AM GOING TO CAREEN OUT OF CONTROL variety), but when it comes to actually telling people on the track what to do, I can't get the words from my brain to my mouth. Part of this is because my mouthguard isn't very conducive to talking, but part of it is that I just can't form the words. It ends up being "GARABARAHARALH I NEED YOU TO BE THERE ABOUT THREE SECONDS AGO."

I rule at...looking around. I'm constantly looking behind me, seeing where people are, where the jammers are, etc.

I rule at...observing when I or other people are out of play. If my players are chasing, I'll bridge. If the other team is chasing, I'll drop back. Stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment