Friday, October 28, 2011

Hrapy Birfday

So yesterday I turned 38.  Whee?  I feel pretty damned good though - I'm probably in the best shape I've been in the last 15-20 years.   We scrimmaged last night and when I went to the penalty box, I asked if I could only spend 30 seconds, as a birthday present.  (As it turned out, it was the last jam of the night, so I only spent 21 seconds or so.)  The penalty box also sang Happy Birthday to me ("Happy Birthday, White 691....")

Earlier in the week, I took apart my skates and cleaned them.  I ordered a whole bunch of hardware parts because they were getting all warped and bent.  When I went to skate last night, I was a mess - I took a really bad fall during tomahawk stops, which *never* happens.  I figured it was because my trucks were loose, so I cranked 'em down, but it kept happening, so I cranked 'em again, but it STILL kept happening, so I stopped and skated slowly around, trying to figure out what was wrong.

The edges of my wheels (Radar Diamonds, which I still love except that it's a bitch to get the bearings out and in) wear down over time, so I rotate them around when I clean them.  The one I put on my left inside back axle was worn down quite a bit.  I realized as I was doing crossovers that I push off on that edge, and when the edge was not there, I stumbled a little bit.  So I put a sharper edged wheel there and was fine.

Our team played awesomely last night - there was one point where three of us were holding their Best Jammer Ever back, and she was *pissed* about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment