Monday, October 24, 2011

weekend!

(we just had one!)

Friday evening was the league-sponsored Zombie Walk, which was an insane amount of fun, as usual.  (I really enjoy shambling around and moaning and chugging fake blood.)  The best part of the evening was when I started going towards this one chick in nightclub gear who said "OMG, GET AWAY! YOU ARE SO WEIRD!!!"

Because it was early in the evening this year (8pm, as opposed to the usual 11pm) Maverick also went, as a Conehead Zombie.  He had an absolute BLAST and really wants to do it again next year.

Saturday I had nothing going on.  NOTHING.  NOTHING.  This does not happen.  It was bizarre.

I *knew* I had to go to Sunday morning's practice to make sure I made attendance.  I did not want to go, for two reasons:

1. My usual "exercise is evil and must be destroyed with fire" attitude; and
2. My usual "getting up early in the morning is evil and must be destroyed with fire" attitude.

I ended up wearing my practice clothes to bed on Saturday night, so as to remove that step in the morning.

So yeah, I went. And y'know what?  It was horrible, it was miserable, it sucked - but it wasn't as horrible, as miserable, as sucky as I remember it being.  The starting out jog - I did it without stopping.  The "47 pushups, 47 situps and 47 air squats* at your own pace"?  I did 30 pushups, 47 situps and 47 air squats at my own pace.  The hopping and agility skills?  I did them as best I could.  The skating pacelines and sprint contests - I didn't wuss out.  So yay me?

Sunday evening was more training for the newbies. It's starting to be obvious who's going to make it and who's not.    We had them try their 25 in 5 - some of them made it with lots of time to spare; some are still doing T-stops in the turns to slow themselves down.

I hate doing the 25 in 5.  Even though I know I can do it easily - I did 56 in 10 minutes, for Pete's sake -  it still makes me nervous.  I wish we had a person skating with us, or a moving dot, or something, that was the "25 in 5" pace time, and you just have to keep in front of that person/dot. 

We had some skaters do their travel team assessments (which I did in May).  I'm kind of curious as to how I'd do on stuff like this now, that (a) I've lost almost 20 pounds and (b) I'd be doing it on our normal practice space on my awesome wheels, as opposed to the first time skating on a surface we don't skate on very often.

Tonight's team practice, should be fun. Hopefully I will not bang my head into the ground like I did last time (which I guess I didn't mention.  Yeah, I got stuck in a pileup that ended up with me getting my head knocked twice, and *then* I realized I hadn't been wearing my mouthguard at the time. Bullet = dodged.  I sat out the rest of practice nursing a headache [which is why I'm nervous about attendance]).

________________
It was Coach Anton Apolo OhHELLno's 47th birthday, so everything was done in groups of 47.

No comments:

Post a Comment