Tuesday, July 9, 2013

HRAPY ANIVARSERY

Five years ago tonight, I strapped on my high-boot roller skates (that had been languishing in the garage for several years previous) and stepped onto the rink at Adult Skate Night for my very first roller derby practice.

What a long, strange trip it's been.
------------------

Practice last night went well.  I worked on doing my "spin to avoid a block/get past a wall" thing during actual play, rather than just in drills.  I had to jam a few times (there were only ten of us at practice) and I worked on it and was actually relatively successful.  Our assistant coach complimented me on a few of my moves.

We had a particularly grueling interval thing in addition to our usual warmup (15 pushups, 20 situps, 25 squats, 20 lunges, 80 jumping jacks* and a one minute wall sit - repeated) so my legs are a bit sore today.   Gaa.

I think I figured out how to lace my skates so that my toe guards stay in place, though I have to replace my laces because one of them is hanging on by two little threads.  (Lately I have been banging the bejeezus out of my left big toe; I have no idea what I'm doing differently, all I know is that I finish for the night and it really really hurts.)  It will be weird/admittedly nice to be able to take a little bit of a break.

*I did not do the jumping jacks for obvious reasons

No comments:

Post a Comment