Tuesday, July 23, 2013

weekend recap

This is all stuff I've mentioned before, but we had two bouts this weekend.  The first one, on Friday, was a fun bout for our city's Pride Week.  The theme of the week was "There's No Place Like Home", so our fun bout was called "Friends of Dorothy" and we had the Ruby Red Skaters vs. the Yellow Brick Rollers (my idea, Kansas [where everyone dressed in shades of black, white and grey] vs. Oz [everyone dressed in crazy bright colors] went unchosen).

So I made helmet covers, as I mentioned a few times before.  Here's a picture of the jammer covers:

FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THE SPARKLE

(the pivot covers were similar; rainbow stripe with sequins on each side.)

They went over like gangbusters.  Everyone kept saying how awesome they were, which made me very happy.

Anyway, the bout.  I was a Yellow Brick Roller and we lost.  One of our fantastico jammers couldn't get off work so we were short in that respect, and then the refs didn't make a few calls that they should've, but whatevs.

Saturday was an actual bout.  And it was amaaaaaaaaayzing.  We all just clicked as a team, we had each other's backs, we did our THANG.  I bridged like a mofo, keeping my teammates in play as the jammer tried to escape.  I didn't play that much in the second half, though, as I fell badly on my right shoulder and was like OKAY I CAN FINISH THIS JAM BUT JUST BARELY AND THEN I'M OUT.  It's still sore now.

We won, of course.

Now I'm on break.  The season starts up again on August 8, but I'll be out of town.  Then I have, like, a week and a half of practices until my surgery and I'm out.  Boo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment