Monday, March 21, 2011

so, hi!

Went to Syracuse for a scrimmage.  They have their own space (an old Fashion Bug store in a mall) which was pretty nice but tiny (you go one skate-width out of bounds, you hit a mattress they have put up).  Everyone warned us "it's really slick, bring your grippiest wheels" but I found the floor delightful (once I got used to the ripple-ripple-ripple rata-tat-tat of the sportcourt tiles on my feet).

So, anyway.  There were 14 of us, a combination of first, second and third year skaters.  There were six lineups, I was pivot in 2, 5 and 6, which was fine and groovy.

Then our bench manager was like "okay, in lineup 2, you and the jammer are gonna switch positions."

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooookay.

So I jammed for, like, 3/4 of the game.  I think I broke out of the pack twice.  Guh.  (Add to that the fact that I ran out of water after the first half, and their drinking fountain was broken, double guh.)

I also got a buncha penalties, including one because I kinda hit their jammer in the jaw with my shoulder.  (It wasn't my fault; she was tall!)  I had some good hits and some amazing whiffs (see what I said before about hitting the mattress).  So that was fun, I  had a good time.

Saturday evening Maverick wanted to go ice skating, so I said "sure". 

Ice skating and roller skating are not the same. 

"FINALLY, something that I'm better at than my Mom," Maverick said as he lapped me on the rink for the twelfth time. (I didn't fall, but it's kinda hard to fall when you're clutching the edge of the rail on the rink.)  My feet were KILLING me.  I started with figure skates but kept catching the little rough edge of the blade on the ice as I skated, so I switched to hockey skates, and the pair I got kept pushing into the side of my foot, and I don't think I laced them tight enough because my ankles kept knocking around the inside, and my feet were killing me, like I said, so I gave up about 45 minutes in.

Then yesterday was Death Paces with Coach Anton Apolo OhHELLno.  I brought my iPod to help with the jogging part, and it did help (except that the earphones I have suck and they kept popping out of my left ear).  While we're jogging, we do other things, like jogging backwards and grapevines and other stretchy-type things.  It's very amusing to listen to "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" while you and thirty other people are skipping across a roller skating rink.

Then we had to do this thing where we all lined up on one side of the rink, and when the whistle blew, we had to run backwards to the other side of the rink, and then run forwards back.  The quicker you did it, the more time you had to rest, because we were doing it once a minute. 

FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES.

Then there was all our core work and planks and leg raises and stuff like that, and THEN we had to put our skates on and do drills for about 45 minutes.

And then I've got team practice tonight.  As I like to say, guh.

No comments:

Post a Comment