Tuesday, January 26, 2010

so how did I start this anyway?

so I don't recall if I ever mentioned how I got into this whole roller derby thing in the first place.  I did at my normal, everyday blog which I never update anymore, but I'll go into it here, too.

It was July 7, 2008.  Roy and Maverick and I decided to go out for dinner, but we didn't go to the place we usually go, which is this little diner that serves really good food really cheap - we went to Famous Dave's.  We got there and I ended up sitting within viewing distance of a TV showing one of the local-ish sports channels.

And they showed this film clip bit.

Usually we have to tell Maverick to stop watching the TV in restaurants, but this time it was me. 

I have to figure out a way to do that.  I'd roller skated a lot when I was a kid*, and was really good at it, but hadn't been in years.  I really need to figure out a way to do that NOW. NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.  The roller skating, the hitting, the attitude....it spoke to me in a way I hadn't been spoken to in years.

So I get home and Google "Rochester Roller Derby".  And lo and behold, I find a Craigslist posting.  There's a league forming!   If you're interested, come to XYZ rink every Wednesday. 

So I pull my old garage sale skates from the garage and go to the rink on Wednesday.  It was the rink's Adult Skate night, so there were lots of other people there, but we were able to do a pace line, weave through it from back to front.  I hadn't been on skates at all in years, and not seriously in probably at least twenty years, but it was like riding a bicycle.  It all came back to me.

When I got home, I wrote in my blog: "I AM HOT AND I AM SORE AND I AM SWEATY AND I AM GETTING BLISTERS ON MY FOOT BUT HOLY PINK AND PURPLE FLYING COWS** THAT WAS THE MOST FUN I HAVE HAD IN ELEVENTY BILLION YEARS."

And out of such humble beginnings, Queen Kicktoria was born.
_______________
*A lot.  Before I got a pair of roller skates, I would stand on Fisher-Price cars and use those.

** I wrote that way because my mom reads my blog and she gets weird about me swearing.  It should read OH MY FUCKING GOD".

No comments:

Post a Comment