Monday, May 16, 2011

The weekend, in long drawn-out form

On Friday afternoon, Captainness Awesome posted the final lineups for Saturday's bout.  There are two power lineups (used in emergency situations, when you need your best skaters).  MY NAME IS IN BOTH OF THEM.  I run around the house for a little bit, saying (direct quote here) "oh my God, holy shit, what the fuck eEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE".  Then I remember that two of our top skaters are not playing, which brings me back down to earth.

We get together at one of my teammates house for our strategy session/carb load/team unity thing.  Her house is nothing but natural wood trim and I LOVE IT.  After we go through each member of the other team and discuss strengths and weaknesses, we go through our team and do the same thing.  I'm told that I'm great at do-si-do-ing with my partner (that's when one partner goes in for a hit, goes back and then the second partner goes in for a hit), great at hitting the jammer out of bounds and then stopping short so she has to get in behind me, I'm great at responding to commands and am just a great partner.  (Which is kinda what I thought - I suck at giving commands, but tell me what to do and I'm all over it.)

Saturday, we go to Maverick's baseball game.  It's chilly and rainy and the coaches will not call the game on account of rain and it's miserable and takes forever.  The whole setup of the league is not quite right (the kids pitch, but if a kid walks more than two players, the coaches have to pitch.  This meant that Maverick got four balls off the kid pitcher, then had to get pitched to by the coach, who threw three MORE balls before striking him out.  PLUS, the coach HIT Maverick with a pitch and he didn't get to take a base.  I got REALLY pissed at that).  THEN, Maverick's team was the home team, broke the tie and won with a run with zero outs, but THEY DIDN'T STOP THE GAME, THEY HAD TO GET ALL THREE OUTS.  That meant ANOTHER twenty minutes sitting in the rain.  I was most incredibly annoyed at this point.

So, the bout.  It was eleventy million trillion gazillion degrees.  All my carefully applied makeup melted.  During our warmup, my kneepad slid A-GAIN and I landed badly A-GAIN.  Fortunately adrenaline was kicking in at that point and I was like I CAN PLAY I'M FINE I'LL WORRY ABOUT IT LATER.

It was a hard, hard, *brutal* game.  We got out to an early lead, almost thirty points, but then we started to get tired and slap-dashery and sloppy.  I got some okay hits but nothing to write home about.  At the half, we were winning by ONE point.

So, it was time to regroup.  Captainness Awesome calmed us down.  We stayed light and happy.

Then, about half-way through the second half, playing just as happy as a lamb, I got knocked down, and hit my head on the concrete.

I didn't immediately get up.  Fortunately, the jam ended just as I was starting to get up, so I was able to get over to the bench.  I had a spot on my forehead that hurt, and I was kind of OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME (though not in a literal "I have no memory of what just happened", more of a "whoa that was intense" thing).   At that point, I figured it would be best if I sat out for the remainder of the game.

Fortunately, we got kept our lead, and won 87-73.

No comments:

Post a Comment