Monday, April 18, 2011

bouty bout bout bout bout

so yeah!  There was a bout yesterday.  Our league's first Sunday one.  Attendance-wise it wasn't as great as our usual Saturday night soirees, but it was a lot better attended than I thought it would be.

So, we won! YAY UNDEFEATED SO FAR FOR THE SEASON KNOCK ON WOOD!  I had a few nice, awesome, clean (though I was convinced after each of them I'd hear the ref whistle telling me I'd done something wrong), knock the jammer down and way the fuck out hits that had my teammates freaking out on the bench. There's just something so....satisfying...about seeing the jammer come up, going "Nope.  Not on MY watch" and running into her at full speed.  (What's even more satisfying? Doing that, hearing the jammer get pissed off at you, and then doing it again.)

Since the league has a rule that if one team is leading by more than 30 points, you have to shake up your lineups, we had a few non-jammers jam, yours truly included.  While my trip with the star went as well as it usually does (not very), two of my teammates not only got lead jam, but scored grand slams!  (Yay for opposing jammers in the penalty box and blockers who can hold a pack to a near stand-still!)
 It wasn't a total runaway, though.  We almost lost our way during the second half and the other team got to within 16 points of us.  (There were a lot of penalties on both sides.  One or two skaters on both teams came very close to being ejected.)  But we calmed down, got them to play our game, and we won 112 to 65.

I need to work on playing offensively (or is it defensively? I can never keep track), though.  I do a pretty good job (if I do say so myself) at blocking the jammer, either through walls, positional blocking or nice, awesome, clean, knock the jammer down and way the fuck out hits, but when it comes to helping my jammer through, I'm kinda like "um....yeah, you're on your own on this one."  What ends up happening is I end up next to an opposing blocker who is next to my jammer - I can't hit that opposing blocker 'cause that'll just send her into my jammer.  I know that I'm supposed to try to get up in front of that blocker and sheriff her back, but that doesn't always happen.  Either that or I'm so focused on staying in the front of the pack and keeping up there (so as I do not get swarmed and held back) that I can't go back and help my jammer through.  Must work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment