Tuesday, April 26, 2011

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

last night's practice was eh.   I hadn't skated or done anything in a week, and it showed.  My back started hurting, of all things - my back never hurts! - and I was paired with Coach Superstar on drills, which is the equivalent of "okay, let's have Michael Jordan go against that kid over there on the Junior Varsity basketball team who didn't get cut because they didn't have enough people to cut."

Anyway.  As I think I've mentioned before, travel team tryouts are May 19.  They told us the format of them last night: basically, at the team practice of that week (which will be Monday the 16th for me), we'll have the "fitness part", wherein we do pushups and situps and squats for a minute.  Then on Thursday, we'll have a speed trial (time for ten laps), half an hour scrimmage, and then the endurance trial (laps for ten minutes).

OH JOY.  Now I'm worried that I won't make the B team.

So I have three weeks to get my act together.  I'd been musing about doing the Hundred Pushups thing, so I tried the initial test this morning.  I was able to do eleven bent-knee ones (they'd better let us do bent-knee ones), but then I decided I probably didn't have proper form.  I'll have to ask Roy to watch me tonight.

Did I mention I'm going to ECE?  Well, I am.  I'm on the waitlist for one of the fun bouts (Crafters v. Bakers).  Our A team from last year got a spot in the serious bouts, and there was a "hey, if you register for ECE you might get a chance to skate with the A team" message on the league's board last night, but I probably won't be able to do that.

OH - another thing - last night at the very end of practice we were doing core work, and we had to do this - thing- where we started in a plank, and then had to get up on our hands, and then back down on our elbows, and repeat that as many times as we could.  I couldn't do one.  I'd get one hand in place, and all my weight would be on the elbow that was still down, and I couldn't figure out how to transfer the weight so that I could get that hand in place.  It was frustrating, but I suppose I have a new goal or something.

(Former) Fearless Leader is going to lend me her wheels on Thursday - she has Radar Diamonds, which I'm eager to try.  I'm always on the search for bigger and better and shinier and HEY NEW TOY, and she and Captainness Awesome both gave them a glowing recommendation.  They're narrow aluminum hub wheels, which will be interesting to try (I've only used nylon hub wheels).

No comments:

Post a Comment