Tuesday, April 12, 2011

eep

So last night one of my newer teammates, who moved up from Fresh Meat about six weeks ago and who was rostered for Sunday's bout, broke her tibia and fibula during a drill last night. 

We've had a few major injuries like that, of the "oh-crap-we-gotta-get-an-ambulance-here-NOW" variety, but this was the first one I've actually been at the practice for.  It was freaky.  But she was a real hard-core trooper and didn't freak out (I probably would've. I *know* I would've).

I hope she can get back soon.  We've had skaters who were back on skates in 6 months and it looked like they never missed a day; we've had skaters who are nowhere near where they were and it's been over a year.

Knock on wood, I hope that never happens to me.  (I did end up with a bruise the size of a half-dollar on my shin, along with a big streak of rink rash.  Not sure when that happened, though.)

So other than that, it was a good practice.  I got partnered up with Captainness Awesome on a "one-on-one" drill (if you're in front, you keep the other person behind you.  If you're in back, you try and get to the front.)  We switched positions several times during the drill, which felt good. 

I think I tightened my trucks too much on Sunday, because my shins are a bit uncomfortable this AM.  I also need to do something about my insoles - I bought new gel ones, and they keep shifting and bunching up in my one skate.  I need to either (a) get some sort of tape so that they don't budge or (b) go back and buy a pair like the ones I had before, that didn't budge.

No comments:

Post a Comment