Thursday, July 7, 2011

adventures in serging!

so my order from Spandex World arrived yesterday (a day early, whee!) so I started making the official B team helmet covers (green covers with white stars and stripes). 

The pattern is very basic - two curved sides and then a panel in the middle.  (This is for the jammer cover.  The panel in the middle is too wide to be a pivot cover.)    The hardest part is pinning them together - a straight line pinned to a curve takes approximately eleventy billion pins.

Anyway, I got the first seam done, and it looked beautiful.  I go to do the second seam, stop paying attention for a second, and the fabric gets all bunched up under the needles.  On a serger, which also cuts the excess fabric as you go, that's fatal.

So, I had to start from scratch.  Phooey.

But I finished one helmet cover (except for the stars) and it looks awesome, if I do say so myself.  The seams are nice and flat, it covers the helmet well.  I will probably do the "stars on both sides of the cover so if it gets turned inside out you won't get penalized" thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment