Friday, July 1, 2011

oh dear, what have I signed myself up for?

in a fit of I-don't-know-what last night, I agreed to try and make helmet covers for our team.  We need them for our July 9 bout.  I placed an order with Spandex World for 3 day delivery, we'll see what happens.  Worst case scenario, we have green on white practice covers that we can use.

So scrimmage yesterday.  I put my new wheels on, making sure to tighten each bolt securely.  (Foreshadowing: A valid literary technique.)  The red Diamonds are OMFG WONDERFUL.  I did not skid, I did not slide.  YAY RED RADAR DIAMONDS!

So we scrimmaged.  Very first time in the lineup I get a major because I've forgotten to put my mouthguard in (WTF?).  So we go along, awesome walls, keeping the jammer back.  (We were playing against the A team, and in one jam we did not let their jammer get through an initial pass.  We were all FUCK YEAH after that.)

and suddenly I get a familiar lopsided feeling in my skate - I've lost a wheel.*

Everything stops, I get my wheel, bearing and nut, and put them all back on.

Two jams later, it happens AGAIN.  With a different wheel.

Methinks I need to change my nuts.  Fortunately I have a stockpile.

-----------------
*I've lost wheels twice before - once during a practice, and once during a private attendance bout.  (That time it was a bit amusing, as it happened at a strategic point that definitely was to our advantage, so I contemplated getting "quick-release wheels" that could be deployed in situations like that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment