Friday, March 12, 2010

eep

one of the skaters on my team spiral fractured the two bones near her ankle last night.  It was another freak thing - she wasn't scrimmaging, wasn't doing anything bizarre - apparently she was just trying to slow down and all her weight just sort of twisted around and she went down. 


We've rallied the troops and put up a "bring her dinner" database which got filled in record time, and I will probably go to the hospital this afternoon to visit her.

Before I found out that she hadn't been scrimmaging (it apparently happened during the first two minutes of practice) I was wondering if we were pushing the new skaters too hard, too fast.  Our league practiced for about six or seven months before we even contemplated scrimmaging - now we're putting skaters into scrimmages after a month or two at most.  I will have to bring it up at our pre-practice meeting on Monday.

So knock on wood, that will be our last injury of the year.

It's raining today.  It better not rain tomorrow - I want to skate in the parade, not walk!  I put my outdoor wheels on yesterday (Radar Pure, which are really nice but admittedly pricey) and did a few laps of the street.  It was soooooooo nice.  I noticed that our neighbors down the street still had their "Merry Christmas" flag hanging off their front porch; oops. 

I also, of course, wore my knee pads.  It's gotten to the point where I do not like skating without them.  I think it's because when you fall in derby, you always try to fall forward, and if you're not wearing knee pads, well... one time at open skate I didn't wear them, and...



Yeah.  Ow.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment