Wednesday, March 17, 2010

oops

so I put my outdoor wheels back on my skates and took a spin up and down the street.  It was a lot harder than it usually should have been, so I took the bearings out to discover that out of sixteen, eight had rusted.  Oops.  Maybe I should've not waited until four days after the fact to think about cleaning them. 

Fortunately I had enough extra lying around to replace the bad ones, so Maverick and I biked and skated over to his elementary school's playground.  Unfortunately, they have a "no skateboarding or rollerskating" rule, so I played the responsible parent and brought shoes to switch into, even though there were kids there on roller blades scooting around.

As I think I've said before, I never skate without my knee pads any more, even if I'm just going to an open skate night at the rink.  I also usually wear my wrist guards.  Elbow pads and helmet, not necessarily as much.  It's really jarring for me to see kids wearing nothing but a helmet that doesn't fit properly going out on blades or skates (especially when said kid falls down and lands on a knee).   I've trained Maverick to wear full gear when he skates outside, and if we skate at the rink, he'll usually start out in full gear but then take off his helmet and elbow pads after a while.  Fair enough, I suppose.

I wish my actual outdoor skates would hurry up and show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment