Tuesday, February 16, 2010

have to remember it's Tuesday, not Monday

(three day weekends always throw me off)

So, as I said yesterday, I did not go to the gym on Friday night.  I got sucked into the Opening Ceremonies with its non-functional cauldron.  (And, as I said to Roy Underkill, Bob and Doug McKenzie should totally have been the ones to light it, eh.)

So that was my excuse for Friday.  My excuse for Saturday was...I took like a four hour nap that afternoon.  I have always slept really crappily, and who can resist the siren call of a really comfortable couch? Not me, that's who.

So Sunday's excuse was....I got up late.  I was supposed to meet with our stats guy at 11am so he could give me my stats for the season, but he showed up 40 minutes late.  I hung around for a while, watching the first set of fresh meat skaters go through their assessments, but I had to get back home. 

(I also found out why The Bowling Powers That Be scheduled their makeup game for Valentine's Day.  Back at the start of the bowling season, they said "okay, we'll schedule it for the Sunday after the Super Bowl," and no one looked at a calendar to see that oh, hey, the Sunday after the Super Bowl is Valentine's Day.  Whoops.)

So that brings us to yesterday.  I'd signed up to help out with the fresh meat assessments last night.  They weren't at the rink where we normally have practices, because it's February Break and they have lots of private parties.  So we had it at the venue where we have our late summer/fall bouts.  The floor there is technically "polished concrete" but it's more like "semi-polished concrete with lots of cracks and bumps".  I tried out my wheels and skidded around a lot (but I wasn't the only one).  It was like doing donuts in a snow-covered parking lot.  I figure if I use good 88a black Heartless wheels as pushers, and my 92a yellow Heartless as my outside wheels, I should be okay.

The fresh meat, as I've said before, are absolutely awesome.  It's so awesome to see so many women frickin' excited to skate.  I think towards the end of last season we got a little apathetic, kinda "we've been skating nonstop for over a year* now we need a break".   So we've had our break and are now WE NEED TO SKATE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW DAMMIT, and I think the influx of fresh meat is adding to the excitement.

On Thursday I have to fly down to North Carolina for my grandmother's memorial service.  I hate flying with the intensity of eleventy billion suns.  I am going to have to sedate myself up the wazoo.  (Xanax FTW!)  It means I'm going to miss the Cooked Meat party (celebration of the Fresh Meat who make the league) *and* the first league practice, about which I am kinda bummed.

Oh - so I did get my stats last night.  I have no idea what they mean, but apparently in one game I did really well.  Yay me?  Our stats guy had the numbers from two bouts - one bout where we lost, I played pivot about a third of the time and during those jams the other team scored eighty trillion points.  Whoops.  I don't like being pivot - I'm not good at telling people what to do.  I like inside blocker (put me on the line and I will stick there like glue) and back.  Outside you need to be able to move around the track more than I am really able to do, though maybe this year I will be better at that.

Tonight is Gym Night Whether I Like it Or Not.  Kyle is on vacation so I won't have Death Paces, but I can go and tinker around on some of the machines and do a half-assed job of it.  I wonder if the assisted dip/pull machine is fixed.  God, I hope not.



--------------------------
*The timeline of our league kinda goes like this - the league began to take shape in February 2008; I joined in July 2008.  We started bouting in May 2009 and ended in November 2009.  So I, at least, skated 16 months without a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment