Thursday, February 25, 2010

so, tuesday's practice

Tuesday was geared for the skaters who want to try out for the travel team. Our travel team coach (who left halfway through because her pregnancy due date was 2/24 and HER WATER BROKE) is notorious for putting skaters through Death Paces (I would read the Facebook statuses of people after practices and they'd be like "OMFG JUST GOT BACK FROM PRACTICE DYING NOW").

So yeah, those were accurate.

Skating and skating and loop skating* and skating and pace lines and more skating and hey, let's skate and partner up with another skater and skate for a lap while you hold onto her hips and do a plow stop and  pacelines where you have to hold hips and pull the 19 skaters behind you for a lap and more skating!  The penny-sized blood blister that developed on the ball of my right foot that took the entire off-season to vanish? Came back about two hours in.  Ow.

But I didn't have to drop out of anything, which I suppose counts for something. (During the loop skating, I kind of trailed a little off the pack once or twice, but not enough that people were yelling at me to catch up.)

I haven't ordered replacement Heartless wheels yet.  I think for the scrimmage tryout for the travel team I will go back to my Fugitives.  I was skittering skittering on the really sharp turns of the loop skate. 

It will be interesting, the travel team tryout.  There are 21 or 22 skaters trying out for an at the time unknown number of slots (probably between 18 and 20).  Will I make the cut? We shall see.

---------
* Loop skate is where you basically skate the shape of a safety pin around cones (which I kept running over and squashing).  We did them in groups of two, in a pyramid style - one group did 2 laps, then the other did 2, the the first group did 3, and so on up to each group doing 5 laps and then back down to 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment