Friday, February 12, 2010

nothing matters but the weekend (BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP)

and once again we hit the weekend, not a moment too soon.

Should be fairly low-key; Maverick has his junior bowling league tomorrow morning. He is scary good bowling these days; we went on Super Bowl Sunday and his three game total was a 350.  Sunday is Valentine's Day but Roy Underkill has a make-up bowling league day from Christmas.  Apparently the people who decided to reschedule it for then are not celebrators of the holiday.

I really don't care about it one way or another.  My Confirmation name is Valentine, so in theory I should. (My mother thinks I picked it because it was my great-grandfather's middle name.  I picked it because it sounded cool and everyone else seemed to be going the Anne/Elizabeth/Margaret route.  I was such a rebel in 8th grade.) 

But then again, I don't care much about many holidays.  They're just so much work.  Decorating and stuff like that.  Christmas trees are the worst - if we didn't have a kid, we wouldn't get one. 

ANYway.

Tonight is my usual gym night.  I will probably go and watch the Olympic opening ceremonies (and then not watch anything else).  Back during the 2006 Winter games, I participated in the Knitting Olympics, wherein you cast on for your project during the opening ceremonies and had to finish by the closing ceremonies.  I was able to complete the Jesse's Flames sweater in that time, although I used a really cruddy yarn and I really don't wear it that often. (That's another one of my obsessions - knitting.  Yes, I have this book.  I've knit one or two things out of it.)

Ever since I started derby, I haven't knit as much as I used to, which I regret, as I enjoy doing it a lot (and because I have a room in my house filled with bins of yarn for projects).  There's only so many hours in the day, though.  I did pick up a project that had been languishing for a while again recently, so soon I will have a pretty pair of socks. (Do NOT ask me about my sister's sweater that I was supposed to have finished by Christmas 2008. Just don't.)

I really need to see a bout soon.  It's been so long, I'm getting antsy.  The closest league that's in bouting season now is Buffalo - Queen City Roller Girls.  Roy Underkill has a bowling tournament in Buffalo some time in March, and if the weekends line up properly I'll go with him, stay for the bout and convince someone on the league to give me a ride home.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I just wanted to leave a comment since I read your blog. I'm also a roller derby girl (Fresh Meat!) and was looking for some derby fitness blogs and found yours.
    Keep up the good work with the gym! It's making me feel motivated! :)

    ReplyDelete