Friday, February 5, 2010

injuries et al

So even though you didn't ask, I'm going to talk about the injuries I've received last year while playing derby.

I managed (knock on wood) to make it through the season pretty much unscathed.  Beyond my tendonitis, which I have thoroughly bored all my non-existent readers with, I had some swelling under my right kneecap in June/July/August.  If I fell on my right knee it would be a big whole mess o'pain and I wouldn't be able to get up immediately.  Five/ten minutes later I'd feel perfectly fine.  I actually skated a bout like this, which was really stupid and selfish on my part.  But finally, after taking a break and having it still bother me, I went to the doctor.

(My doctor is awesome. He's a very athletic guy and understands my need to get back out there NOW NOW NOW NOW.) 

He diagnosed it as swelling under my kneecap and prescribed some supar-strong ibuprofen.  He also had me get X-rays, just to confirm I didn't have arthritis.

(insert the standard TV sound effect to indicate time passing.)

Guess what? I'm starting to get arthritis!

It doesn't hurt or anything, but I do get the CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH when I go up stairs. 

So that's my knees. 

I also jammed my right ring finger knuckle a week before my last bout, and had to skate with it taped to my other fingers otherwise I was in a world of pain.  (You can see it in the picture I posted yesterday.)  Fortunately I was not wearing my rings at that practice, or they would've had to cut it off.  (It's only now, four months later, that the swelling's gone down enough that I can put the ring back on.)

So nothing broken (like many other women on our league) and for that I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment