Friday, December 11, 2009

okay

so.  last night I boogied on over to the gym to meet with Kyle so he could show me THE MACHINES.  Welcome, my son, welcome to THE MACHINE. (Yes, I listen to Pink Floyd on occasion.  Blame Roy, who doesn't listen to any songs released after 1982, except for Radiohead.  I don't understand it either.)

He wrote everything down on this sheet of paper, thank God.  The number of each machine, which settings to set the chairs and the handlebars and whatever at, how much weight to put on each machine.  So basically, I don't have to think.  This is a good thing.  Put me in front of something and tell me how to do it, and I will do it.  

The gym is separated into different rooms - there's the cardio machine room, the nautilus machine room and the weight room.  The weight room is where all the big hulking serious guys go. At one point Kyle wanted to show me a machine in there (which I won't end up using, 'cause it bugs my shoulder [I have had weird shoulder issues for about 12-13 years now]) and before we went in, he was like "are you okay with going into the weight room?" and I thought "um, should I be concerned about it?"

So I used leg machines and arm machines and chin up machines and pull up machines and I realized just how little frickin' upper body strength I have. (Though I knew this before, when we would do pushups during derby practice and I would collapse on the floor and weep silently while everyone else chugged along.)  They had these big weighted sticks that I have to lift and stuff. 

Kyle told me I should do this circuit of lifting and pushing and pulling and whatnot three times a week, and then do some cardio, but do more exclusive cardio as well.  Geesh.  So, I've decided that my schedule will be Tuesday evenings (since I'd already had that time set aside for derby practice), Friday nights, after Maverick goes to bed (since outside of derby I don't have a social life) and Sunday mornings, when I would normally go to derby practice.  It's my hope that the tendonitis in my hamstring will calm the fuck down if I don't skate.  While I will miss going to practice, it's for the greater good, I guess.

As for the additional cardio, I'll see if I can grab an hour here or an hour there.  There are one or two branches of the gym near-ish to work.  Plus there's the clothes hanger recumbent bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment